[HECnet] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Mark Matlock mark at matlockfamily.com
Sat Dec 31 22:08:16 PST 2016

Johnny,
   Thanks for the new release of TCP/IP for RSX! Also thanks for keeping it functional on original hardware not just higher speed emulations. I currently have your TCP/IP running on two physical PDP-11/83s and one PDP-11/73. They all handle the network traffic at higher speeds than DECnet ever could. I look forward to your developments on email supporting both legacy DEC and SMTP protocols.

   The FTP capabilities for RSX has enabled me to transfer all of the DECUS RSX Sig tapes from the RSX Freeware CD ISO image from the internet to my PDP-11s and have all of that software available as easily mountable virtual disks. I can remember taking blank tapes to the
DECUS meetings in Chicago and trading for the latest SIG tapes back in 1982-1987 or so. This is all so easy today with the SCSI2SD devices
where a small 8GB SD card can be formatted as four 2GB disks. Thanks for your continued improvements to FTP.

   Also, this past year your IPNET HECnet bridge capability finally enabled me to connect to HECnet. This has been very interesting to learn
more about wide area networking with DECnet.

   The TELNET capabilities are great to be able to open multiple windows on my iMac to various PDP-11s at the house as well as log into to them remotely when I travel.

Thanks for all the hours you put into RSX development this year and I hope you have a very Happy New Year!

Mark