[HECnet] VAXELN Router on HECnet

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sun Feb 7 14:40:49 PST 2016

Just wanted to let people know that I have ported my user mode router on to
VAXELN, running on an rtVAX 1000 (KA620), and it is up on HECnet.

There are some compromises, and it is pretty slow at the moment, with
adjacencies dropping from time to time, but if you see a router at 5.30 then
it is VAXELN.

Right now it is running on the real hardware, but as that is noisy and uses
155W of power then it won't be around very often. For development purposes I
also run it on SIMH where it is a bit quicker, but that will also be
intermittent. The machine is diskless and has only one Ethernet adapter, so
it is running raw packets on the LAN and talking to Johnny's bridge using
UDP, it is acting as my router to HECnet. You should be able to reach nodes
at 5.11, 5.99 and 5.100, but it *will* be slow.

Next steps will be to make it more efficient.

Regards

Rob