[HECnet] VS4000/60 power supply dead... or not?

Jordi Guillaumes Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Sun Feb 14 11:13:52 PST 2016

Hello list,

Some months ago I asked for help regarding one of my Vaxstation 4000,
whose power supply appeared to be dead. I have finally found the time
(and the mood) to take apart the PS from the machine and open it to take
a look. I have got to vandalize it a little bit, since one of the screws
was completely stuck in place... nothing that a creative use of a dremel
tool can' fix ;)

What I have found is one of the two big fuses near the mains connection
is blown. This _should_ be good news, since all what I have to do is to
find a compatible fuse. But I wonder what will I find when I replace it.
There is nothing obviously burnt in the PS. The big capacitors look good
(even shiny, once I've blown off the dust), and there is no funny smell
at all.

So, my next step will be to replace the thing and see if it blows up again.

Just a question for the repair savvy... is it safe to power up the PS
outside of the vaxstation?

I'll tell you how the thing evolves :)

regards,