[HECnet] VMS, linux and Hec/DEC net

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Feb 14 12:23:41 PST 2016

On 2016-02-14 21:00, Hans Vlems wrote:
> No, that wouldn't be necessary. What I'm interested in is Johnny whether you can identify the error in the LAT packets?

Like I said at the start. I have not tried to identify the problem any
further. Using llogin to connect to an RSX system works for a while, but
will disconnect after a while. Exactly when or why is not understood (by
me at least). But it happens. This is some protocol violation of the
Linux implementation. It's like they get out of sync, or some packet not
understood by one side (RSX?) is received.

And when this happens, RSX looses track of a memory buffer, which is an
RSX error. Given some time, and a few llogin sessions, and RSX will run
out of memory in the network pool. And the only way to recover is to reboot.

And none of this happens with DECservers, or any other LAT software that
I have seen.

	Johnny