[HECnet] VS4000/60 power supply dead... or not?

Clement T. Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Feb 15 15:22:00 PST 2016

Yes They are wire wound power resisters that are made taking wire wound around a ceramic base.  From your markings it would mean it is rated @ 2watts within 10% of the rated value of 15000 ohms (i.e. at least 13500 ohms and not more than 16500).  These values tell you the maximum current / voltage etc that can be running through it before it will burn up.  But the reason why those resisters are mechanically off the board is because they do get very hot as they typically do carry a lot of current and put off a lot of heat as they drop the voltage at that current.

You can try to test it with a DVM on resistance mode but it's going to tell you the impedance of those two points in the circuit so if anything is parallel  with the resister you will pick up that also.

Sent from my iPad