[HECnet] User mode DECnet for Linux

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Feb 29 06:01:08 PST 2016

On 02/29/2016 06:29 AM, Mark Wickens wrote:
> Ah this is a shame - I would have thought that given the maturity of the
> code maintaining maybe wasn't so much a technical as a time consuming
> occupation?

  The problem isn't the DECnet code, the problem is the kernel
interface.  It has been a moving target for years.  Everything that
touches it must be constantly changed to keep in sync with it, and at
this point, nobody with the required skillset (and more importantly,
spare time) is available to do the work.

> I wonder if we have the resources in the HECnet community to keep this
> going? Has this subject come up before and passed me by?

  I don't think it has come up here before.

> Are there any other unix alternative other than Digital Unix/tru64?

  Yes, there is a good potential solution in the works.  A commercial
product that addresses this problem is in the process of being
open-sourced.  Stand by for more info as things develop.