[HECnet] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Fri Jan 1 10:28:46 PST 2016

Johnny,
    Thanks for fixing the TELNETD configuration issue, it’s working fine now. I have one additional problem during shutdown when IPREM is called from lb:[1,2]shutup.cmd I get the following error:

	>ifc stop
	Stopping IP.
	Stopping UD.
	TC not running..
	>abo ethacp
	TCP/IP - ethernet ACP exiting...

and the subsequent “con off tc:” hangs up for several minutes before timing out:

		>con off tc:

		CON -- Command execution error.
		Timeout on unit quieting operation
	 		       OFFLINE	TC0:
     	 >unl if:/vec

I’m running M+ 4.6 on an emulated 11/93 with DECnet enabled. Up until the shutdown everything appeared to be running - I was able to successfully telnet into the system. Let me know if you need any more information.

  John.

> On Dec 29, 2015, at 9:12 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> John, I've rewritten that part now. It no longer asks for the number of terminals at IPGEN. Instead you have a new logical name, TELNET$TERMINALS, for which you have a prototype in the IPAPPL.NEW file, that you can copy. This logical name now controls how many terminals are created.
>
> Could you (or someone else) test and report if I got anything wrong in the installation procedure?
>
> 	Johnny
>
> On 2015-12-24 03:01, John Forecast wrote:
>> Johnny,
>>    I installed this version of your code and had a problem with
>> TELNETD. Because I had changed the number of supported terminals (from
>> 10 to 4) I got
>>
>> INS -- Length mismatch common block TELCOM
>>
>> while trying to install TELNETD. Looks like you’ll need to rebuild it as
>> part of the install.
>>
>>   John.
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2015, at 11:52 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se
>> <mailto:bqt at softjar.se>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, about two months since my last announcement, and some
>>> improvements have been done, so I figured I should do another one.
>>>
>>> I've cut a new release of TCP/IP for RSX, and I encourage everyone to
>>> update to this latest release.
>>>
>>> A short list of changes since my last release:
>>>
>>> TCP:
>>> . Performance improvements. TCP timers have been redesigned for better
>>> performance. This gave FTP a performance increase of about 15$.
>>> . TCP negative ACK detection has been improved.
>>> , TCP receive packet handling have been redesigned for better
>>> performance, and better code structure.
>>> . Added guards against data received after FIN.
>>> . Bugfix in SPOOF hostname printouts when filter was cleared.
>>> . Bugfix in tcp timers that could cause a close to take a very
>>> long time to clean up.
>>>
>>> FTP:
>>> . Bugfix in user verification code which could cause program
>>> to crash. This affected ftpd.
>>> . Changed ftp and ftpd to create files without max record length when
>>> dealing with binary files.
>>>
>>> TELNET:
>>> . Added exit handler to telnetd, so that telnetd cannot be aborted
>>> while active sessions exist.
>>>
>>> HTTPD:
>>> . Improved webserver handling of binary files.
>>>
>>> As usual, the distribution is available from:
>>> ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
>>> ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap