[HECnet] DECnet over IP

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 20 07:31:22 PST 2016

On 2016-01-20 16:16, Dennis Boone wrote:
>   > > I'll point out that you specified you wanted to convert existing bridge
>   > > connections, not just add redundant links.
>
>   > Huh? Where did I say that??? I am in fact very fond of redundant links.
>
> You said:
>
>      but who would like to peer with me, and reduce the size of the
>      bridge?

That means that we can eventually reduce the size of the bridge, when
people want to. It's not required. The size of the bridge have some
implicit problems. The number of routers on one ethernet segment is
limited in DECnet, as well as the number of nodes.

So, I'm sorry if that was read as dropping off the bridge was required.
It was meant as a possible later action with some good side effects. I'm
definitely not going to kick anyone off the bridge.

But, honestly, in some situations, the Multinet link might give better
performance, and in either case, the bridge cannot grow that much more
no matter what.