[HECnet] DECnet over IP

Wed Jan 20 08:02:16 PST 2016

> On Jan 20, 2016, at 10:51 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

>>   Getting off topic - don't I remember that there was a way to set a password on point-to-point DDCMP circuits?  How (or rather, at what level in the protocol stack) was that implemented ?
>
> There is. I've never used it, but you can set passwords on circuits.

Yes, on any point to point circuit, which Multinet is.  That is implemented at the routing layer; the password exchange is done as part of the routing layer initialization exchange (Routing Init and Routing Verify messages).  See the routing architecture spec.

Note that this is a plain text password, so all the usual security limitations of plaintext passwords apply.  Also, the way it is set as the circuit attribute is not specified in the standard -- a strange omission because the feature itself IS standardized at the protocol level.

	paul