[HECnet] DECnet over IP

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Wed Jan 20 08:22:50 PST 2016

>I have about 500 telnet connections per day to Mim, ...

  Put your telnet on a non-standard port.  All the bots and scripts are hardwired to standard port numbers.

  I only open ssh, and I use a non-standard port number.  I basically never get any break in attempts.  Sure, if somebody did a port scan they could find it, but none of the bots do that and the human hackers who might be smart enough to figure it out are also smart enough not to care about my machines.

  I also only permit public/private key authentication with external ssh connections, so trying to guess passwords is a non-starter.

  BTW, do you have ssh for RSX too??

Bob