[HECnet] Revisiting circuit costs

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 20 08:51:10 PST 2016

Ok, so this might be a sensitive subject, after all out mails the last
month.

I figured I should at least try to document and explain how I am setting
costs on my circuits. Others are, of course, free to choose any other
ideas. And DECnet will deal with it, so this only might under some
circumstances make life a little bit better, or worse...

To start with, let me tell you that I run RSX. What I'm writing below
sometimes reflects things under RSX as well, which might not be the same
for other systems.

Now, DECnet have costs. These are "arbitrary" numbers, which DECnet use
to pick which path to prefer when there are several to choose between.
And DECnet do calculations based on the costs of many hops as well, so
the costs I put locally are not the final decider all the time. The
further away the destination is, the more the costs of intermediate hops
matter.

Second, area routing obscures a lot of this. Area routing is separate,
and also works on the same principles.

Now, in RSX, for an area router, I can actually set the cost for both
level one routing, and level two routing, separately. This is not
possible in VMS (as far as I know), so some of the stuff I do will not
be possible in VMS.

Ok, so how do my network look like, and how am I thinking?
Well, first of all, ethernet is mainly a local transport. So, I want to
keep the cost at a level that reflects this. It's cheap and fast. So I
do not want a high cost on it. RSX defaults the cost to 3, and I'm happy
to keep it at that. (I know that VMS defaults to 4.)
Now, this is for level one routing we're talking about.
When it comes to area routing, ethernet is not my preferred choice. It
always means going over the bridge to get to whatever area. If I have a
point-to-point link to that area, I think it is a better choice. So I
want the level two cost to be higher than any direct links. At the
moment, I've set the level two cost on ethernet at Mim to 6.

Point-to-point links will thus have a cost of less than 6 here. And the
actual cost is relative to the physical distance between Mim and that
location. Let's say that other places in Europe might be 1 or 2. US easy
coast 3, and US west coast 5. That should give a fair relative cost of
these links as far as I am concerned.

It also means that unless the US east and west coast have a cost of less
than 2 between them, I should go directly to the east coast, without
hopping through the west coast first. I could, of course, set the costs
equal for all of the US, but then we get to the question, what if I want
to get to a node in the central US? If people in the US put reasonable
costs on their links, the cost should be about equal from the west or
the east to central. If I said my cost to the west and east were equal,
then I could end up going to the west to get to central, which seems the
long way around. And in honesty, the cost from Sweden should be greater
to the west coast than the east coast... it just makes sense to put
honest numbers in there that makes sense.
And if the US east and west puts a cost of 1 to the other end, what cost
is there to central? Also 1. Do they not think one is more expensive
than the other? And if they don't differentiate the costs for such
distances, then either they honestly are just as fast, or else they
might end up jumping through extra hops that do cost, that they maybe
didn't want to.

So my thinking is to put a cost on my point-to-point links that roughly
gives some reflection on how far or slow that link is.
Ethernet is something I mostly want to use for traffic inside my area,
but if someone else only have the bridge, then I'll use ethernet for
that one too.

Remember, no matter how high I put the cost on the ethernet, if it is
traffic within the area, no links to any node in another area will even
be considered, no matter what the cost is.
If you have both the bridge, and ptp links inside the area, then it matters.

If you have both ptp links and bridge to other areas, then cost matters.
Set the cost so that it makes sense. If the bridge generally is the
cheaper/faster/better path, then set the cost lower there. If the ptp
links are better, set the cost accordingly.

With all that said, I've also implicitly given some measurements of what
the costs (for me) reflect. Across all the US costs me about 2. Across
the atlantic about 3. Europe is about 2 across as well.

And for me, ethernet to another area is more expensive than that. But in
most cases, if the hop means a ptp, and then back on the bridge anyway,
then I would hope the cost of the bridge is less. But it will depend, of
course...