[HECnet] DECnet over IP

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 20 09:01:48 PST 2016

On 2016-01-20 17:22, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> I have about 500 telnet connections per day to Mim, ...
>
>    Put your telnet on a non-standard port.  All the bots and scripts are hardwired to standard port numbers.

If I wanted to hide things, sure.

>    I only open ssh, and I use a non-standard port number.  I basically never get any break in attempts.  Sure, if somebody did a port scan they could find it, but none of the bots do that and the human hackers who might be smart enough to figure it out are also smart enough not to care about my machines.

Like I said, this is a source of amusement to me. I don't mind. And
since occasionally an honest tourist also might happen to pass by, I do
not want to hide things. Mim is a public service.

In fact, if you telnet to mim.update.uu.se, you'll get information on
how to log in at connection time. Except bots are too stupid to
understand such information. :-)

>    I also only permit public/private key authentication with external ssh connections, so trying to guess passwords is a non-starter.
>
>    BTW, do you have ssh for RSX too??

Nope. I don't think I'm going to try and implement it either. While an
emulated PDP-11 probably is fast enough, writing the code to do this in
a limited memory space just isn't my idea of fun. Besides, I'm not a
math genius, and trying to understand all of that would be a lot of
headache...