[HECnet] Revisiting circuit costs

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 20 09:09:43 PST 2016

On 2016-01-20 18:03, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> And the actual cost is relative to the physical distance between Mim and that location.
>
>    But with links tunneled over the modern Internet, physical distance has little to do with either bandwidth or latency.  It's easily possible that I could have a slower link talking to the guy next door than I would talking to MIM.
>
>    Seems like it would be better to set circuit costs based on either latency or bandwidth, not distance.

You are absolutely right. I use physical distance as a proxy for this.
If I know better what that the link is really bad, the cost should be
higher.

However, physical distance is also not totally irrelevant. It is
"better" to talk with the US east coast than the US west coast, if I
assume that everything is pretty much equal.