[HECnet] Cisco tunnels: update my IP (again)

Fri Jul 1 08:09:52 PDT 2016

> On Jul 1, 2016, at 11:02 AM, Tim Sneddon <tim at sneddon.id.au> wrote:
>
> On 1/07/2016 10:40 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

>> Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 228/231/232 ms
>>
>> Oops...
>
> Excellent. Took bloody ages to come up! Guess I'll just have to be more patient :-)

What protocol does that tunnel use?  Multinet over IP?  If so, that's the expected behavior given the design errors of that protocol.  For all others, the connection should come up as soon as packets start to flow back and forth reliably.

I've found Wireshark a useful tool to look at problems, though unfortunately Wireshark parses many DECnet frames incorrectly.  (It makes a particularly embarassing mess out of routing packets.)

	paul