[HECnet] Announcing TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Jun 4 08:21:47 PDT 2016

Time for a new release announcement of TCP/IP for RSX-11M-PLUS.

A couple of fixes have been done since the last release.

At this point, the TCP/IP and tools seem to be very stable and usable.
MIM, which is my main test machine have been up and running for a month.
During that time, the machine have send out around 8G of data over TCP,
had about 28500 connections established, blocked about 17000 packets
from about 1000 spammers, had about 700 logins over telnet, and
basically been very busy, while not falling over or failing.
These are quite fun numbers, and I do feel a bit proud about them as
well. I don't think DEC ever envisioned an RSX system doing that.

I should also point out that I have not had a crash because of TCP/IP in
a very long time. But since I have often been doing various tests and
changes, uptime have often not been that long anyway. But right now I
feel that I do not have any pressing needs for things to fix in the
network stack, and have start to focus more on applications.

Things that have been done since the last release:

TCP:
- Made some transmit and receive statistics 64 bit wide. Numbers started
wrapping...
- Added smarter ACK probing for packets received out of sequence, which
improves transmission rates and lost connection detection.
- Added ability to set keepalive time on a per connection basis.

Telnet:
- Added spoof detection for telnet connections.

As usual, the distribution is available from:
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.dsk
ftp://mim.update.uu.se/bqtcp.tap
ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/pdp11/rsx/tcpip/tcpip.dsk

The documentation is also available through ftp on Mim, or also at
http://mim.update.uu.se/tcpipdoc

Note! I've realized that BQTCP/IP do not work right if you have a
PDP-11/74 with multiple processors online. I'll fix that at some point,
as it's probably just a case of affinity not being set on devices, nor
relevant processes. This might only be a problem with telnet in fact. I
know for sure that the IP and TCP drivers works ok in multiprocessor
systems.

The one thing I might do some additional work on in the near future
is improving the DNS resolver. It should not affect any existing code,
but is something needed before I can do SMTP.