[HECnet] Please help to find technical documentation

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jun 20 01:19:50 PDT 2016

Ok, Serguei. The pictures help.

On 2016-06-20 09:04, Serguei wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Here what I have
>
> 1. http://i.sypp.ru/sypp/hecnet/1.jpg monitor with R G B HD VD coax +
> right plug is svideo probably

Connectors on the monitor itself is not that relevant. The output from
the workstation will be just three coaxes, with sync-on-green. The
monitor itself is a generic device, that can also use separate syncs
(hence the connectors), but DEC didn't use those.

> 2. http://i.sypp.ru/sypp/hecnet/2.jpg mouse

That was an odd mouse. Interesting. I actually did use a VS I many years
ago, while at DEC. But I've long since forgotten any physical details.

> 3. http://i.sypp.ru/sypp/hecnet/3.jpg VaxStation itself. Look for this
> masterpiece :)

Yes, this was the most useful picture.

>  So how the jack for keyboard called? DEQNA - monitor or ethernet AUI
> jack? if monitor so how to find such cable? what's this jack name?

DEQNA is the ethernet controller. It has a DA-15 AUI connector. Bog
standard thing.

The "keyboard" connector is another DA-15. It is the same connector for
both keyboard *and* monitor. You'll have to find a matching cable. That
cable will have a DA-15 at one end, and a block at the other end, from
which there comes three coax cables for the monitor, and you'll have a
4-pin modular jack, into which you plug your LK201 keyboard. It might
also have a connection for a more standard DEC mouse, which have a round
DIN-connector with 7 pins or so.

	Johnny