[HECnet] 108.31.82.9/QCOCAL

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jun 22 16:33:10 PDT 2016

On 2016-06-22 18:08, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

>> Thanks. I actually forgot to bring this up. I would be surprised if the script kiddies of today would have the first clue on how to automate any penetration attack actually from VMS... So it would be interesting to actually find out a bit more on what actually happened on the originating side…
>>

> At this precise moment, that IP address does not answer PING. Some hours ago, it had an active FTP server which identified itself as SunOS. I didn’t catch the version. So there is potentially exploitable stuff there.

Well, I assume at the time it was the machine where QCOCAL was, but I
still would not expect that the attack actually happened from VMS. But I
would like to find out for sure.

>>> Anyway, it would be good to send a heads up to the operator. I can’t see any QCOCAL node in HECNET, so I don’t know ho he is.
>
>> Haven't updated your database in a while? :-)
>> http://mim.update.uu.se/nodedb?search=qcocal&field=0&sort=0
>
> I copied the HECNET.idx file you have in the FAL default directory in MIM:: Isn’t that the good one?
>
> DTR> ready hecnet
> DTR> find hecnet with node_name = "QCOCAL"
> [0 records found]

Either you have an old copy, or something else on your side is broken.

On MIM::
DTR> show dictionary
The current dictionary is DU1:[DECNET]DECNET.DIC;1
DTR> show hecnet
DOMAIN HECNET
  USING NODE_REC
      ON US:[DECNET]HECNET.IDX;
DTR> find hecnet with node_name="QCOCAL"
[1 Record found]
DTR> print
No record selected, printing whole collection

  NODE                                NODE
  NAME  AREA NUMBER OWN              OWNER           ARCHITECTURE CPU

QCOCAL   1    550  susa Supratim Sanyal
                                                       ?
Unknown                         6-Jun-2016