[HECnet] Cisco tunnels: update my IP

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:52:23 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:20 PM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 8:20 AM, Brian Hechinger < wonko at 4amlunch.net >
> wrote:
>
> >> I have an edgerouter lite and after 20 minutes of trying to figure out
> how to
> >> get it to forward GRE tunnels I gave up and put the cisco router
> directly on
> >> the edge. :)
> > I have an EdgeRouter Lite, but I ditched the stock OS and installed
> OpenBSD. The
> > stock stuff was too esoteric for me, but some AMPRNet folks are using
> ERL's
> > with tunnels (granted, IPENCAP instead of GRE, but same principle).
> Perhaps
> > their documentation would be helpful:
> > http://wiki.ampr.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_gateway_on_Ubiquiti_EdgeRouter
>
> Is there offload yet?  My connection overwhelms software-only pf (I
> checked).

It supports checksum offload but not the rest of the functionality as far
as I can tell (packet forwarding, NAT, etc).  My connection is not as, er,
robust as yours, so for me the speed is fine (I have a 75/15 business-class
cable connection and can max it out); I'm not sure if the OpenBSD port will
ever catch up the stock OS in terms of offloading more of the processing.