[HECnet] Emacs-clone for RSX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun May 29 10:55:30 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-29 19:40, John Wilson wrote:
> From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
>
>> With all that in mind, I decided to write my own Emacs clone instead
>> (yes, I got horribly upset with the lousy quality of most code I looked
>> at, if someone wants to hear some rants, contact me privately).
>>
>> I started about a month ago, and at this point, it's working, and quite
>> useful.
>
> Way to go!  Very impressive.

It's gone faster than I thought, and the end code is smaller than I
expected (also considering that the PDP-11 C compiler isn't exactly
generating very good code).

>> . Only works on ANSI terminals today. It would be doable to extend with
>> other terminal support, but I don't have any need, and since I do not
>> have, nor want to depend on curses, it will require coding to either
>> have a module to uses curses, if that is wanted, or handling of specific
>> terminals.
>
> I agree.  The days of dozens of choices of real terminals are long over,
> so the amount of extra work you'd do just for that one time that someone
> dusts off a Teleray 1061 just to open one file and then turn it off forever,
> is really not worth it.  Expecting someone doing real work to find an ANSI
> terminal is totally fair.

Yeah. I expect more people to actually be sitting on a terminal emulator
which pretends to work like a VT100 (albeit almost invariably very
buggy) or an actual terminal which is VT100 compatible.

I also must mention that the screen handling is doing a pretty good job
in my editor. The one thing I really could improve would be to use the
insert/delete character functions and insert/delete line functions
introduced in the VT102. I haven't done that one yet, but apart from
that, I think it is doing very close to an optimal output to get the
results.