[HECnet] taking the first step

Supratim Sanyal supratim at riseup.net
Tue May 31 05:24:21 PDT 2016

Hello,

May I request a node address and node number pair to try to connect
using the bridge program?

I am running OpenVMS 7.3 on SIMH on a dedicated virtualbox VM and have
compiled the bridge program on the VM host, wanting to take the next step.

Thanks in advance,

Supratim

---

Johnny,

I would like to connect to you first (the easy solution) - please send
me the two numbers I can use.

Note: You will probably hear back from me after around a week when I
return from a work-related travel assignment.

Thanks,

Supratim

Hi, Supratim.

On 2016-05-14 19:33, Supratim Sanyal wrote:

> Dear Johnny,
>
> I am taking the first steps in building a useful hobbyist OpenVMS
> 7.3/VAX machine and am at a point where I
> (a) have downloaded and compiled the bridge program on a linux gateway
> box, and
> (b) am starting to configure DECNet Plus with the goal of getting on
> HECNet.
>
> I would like the nodename to be QCOCAL if possible (historical reasons,
> the first nodename when I joined DEC was QCOCAL). Also, can you help me
> with choosing between LOCAL and DECdns, and assign me an area and a node
> number?
>
> Once I have this configured, the next step will be to get bridge to work
> and test if I can reach other Vaxen over HECnet.
>
> The following is a dump of what I did so far. Also copying Poolak
> Banerjee, a fellow ex-DEC VAX enthusiast and my ex-boss at DEC, who is
> closely following progress on this VAX.

Well, the obvious questions are (as always), where to connect you, and
what area and node number to use.

Since you mention that you are planning to use the bridge, the easy
solution is to connect to me, but if you have some other plan just let
me know.
The question of area and node number depends on your system. I do not
really know much about DECnet Plus. Can you have an area router with
this, and would you like to have your own area, or would you prefer to
be placed in an existing area?

As far as choosing how to handle node names, I cannot really comment.
Like I said, I do not really know DECnet Plus that well, and found it
just complicated for my needs, so I "downgraded" back to plain Phase IV
DECnet on whatever VMS I have. But I mostly run PDP-11s myself. And
there are also many other type of systems as well.

     Johnny