[HECnet] [Simh] Emacs-clone for RSX?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 31 09:05:54 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-31 17:33, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:

>> On May 31, 2016, at 11:22 AM, John Wilson <wilson at dbit.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 06:10:41PM +0300, Sampsa Laine wrote:
>>> Why don???t one of you RSX gurus port ???joe??? to RSX?
>>> OK it???s not emacs but it???s quite small and has enough functionality..
>>
>> I'm thinking the point isn't:  if only there were a nice editor, any
>> editor, that fits on RSX (those of us who grew up on EDT generally *love*
>> it already, and TECO is its own religion), but rather to accommodate
>> people's muscle memory and accept the commands they were already going to
>> type whether they meant to or not (which is why E11's built-in editor goes
>> in the other direction and uses the EDT/KED keypad layout).
>
> If you want the Emacs screen editing user interface, as opposed to all its elisp-based commands, then this seems to amount to a tweaked vtedit.tec...

You can also rebind keys in EDT, which I've also done in the past.
The problem is that no solution today have been good enough for my needs.
Rebinding in EDT have some limitations that means some stuff will not
work as you expected.
Using VTEDIT.TEC hits memory limits, which TECO solves in a way that
makes it behave very different than EMACS for larger files.
MicroEMACS just plain don't deal with large files.

Any other variant I forgot to mention? :-)