[HECnet] Static IPs for everyone!

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Mon Nov 7 03:28:37 PST 2016

> On 7 Nov 2016, at 13:18, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2016-11-07 12:05, Sampsa Laine wrote:

>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Yeah, that's an obvious, easy way to make it sane.
>>>
>>> 	Johnny
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
>> Doesn’t this pretty much solve the issue of bridges and dynamic IP addresses?
>>
>> :P
>
> Depends. If you have a dynamic address, your bridge do not need to be updates. It is the other end that needs. And it might be that I could/should run such a monitoring system, but I have lots of entries in my config, and I guess I should think about/consider what might go wrong if I were to use this.

I’ll run one - my box is on a 100/100 Mbps dedicated colo server in the UK, one hope from update so performance isn’t TERRIBLE.

Of course I won’t do it for people whose IPs keep changing on an hourly basis because 10 of those and my bridge becomes a yo-yo.

However most IP addresses change roughly daily max..

Sampsa