[HECnet] Botnet hits on 23/tcp

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Tue Oct 25 10:19:20 PDT 2016

> Alternate ports is not really any protection.

  I'm not sure I agree.  99.97% (an arbitrarily made up but probably not too far off number :-) of the stuff you see on the Internet is bots and scripts, and these don't adapt to non-standard ports.  Breaking in would require a human to sit down and some time figuring out what I've done.  Admittedly it's not that hard, but the odds of a real person wanting to spend his time doing that is pretty small.

  Having said that, I also don't enable keyboard authentication on my ssh servers - it's public key/private key only.

Bob