[HECnet] Botnet hits on 23/tcp

Kari Uusimäki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Tue Oct 25 21:24:54 PDT 2016

You can limit different types of logins in different ways.
E.g. by defining when you can login in the UAF.

Anyhow, I wouldn't be too concerned about those scripties. The DECUS
server in Finland has been online since early 90's and noone has ever
succeeded to break in.
Telnet was enabled until about a year ago and the SYSTEM account has
been enabled normally.

Two settings are recommended to make the life bitter for the scripties.
First extend the breakin system parameters to make the waiting time
really long and second limit the maximum sessions of telnet or ssh. Then
the scripties will try for a while, but soon they'll be bored and find
an easier target. And your system will not be much affected.

Kari