[HECnet] HECnet mail gateway...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Apr 6 14:02:05 PDT 2017

I've been busy (as usual) with writing stuff for RSX. And been a bit
annoyed at not having a nice mail gateway between TCP/IP and DECnet. So
I've written one for RSX, which is now live.

This is still very new and not so very tested code, so I really
appreciate any error reports, feature requests, thought, or just stress
tests... :-)

So, without making it any more complicated:

To send mail from anywhere on the Internet to a host on HECnet:

<node>::<user>@Mim.Update.UU.SE

To send mail from a node on HECnet to Internet:

MIM::<user>@<host>

Of course, as usual, PMR addressing works on the DECnet side. Also, this
mail gateway can also deal with local mail on Mim, in case anyone
wonders. And it does *not* relay mail on the Internet.

I've done a cut of BQTCP as well, with this mailer included. But I'm not
officially making a release yet. That is what the next week or so of
testing is leading me up to, though. :-)

And if people try to get this up and working let me know, as the
documentation might still be a bit cryptic as well.

And in case anyone wonder - yes, it does use MX records on the TCP/IP
side. Also, Mim is behind a firewall, so for most people, SMTP access
directly to Mim does not work. However, Mim also have an MX record
pointing to an intermediate machine which then relays the messages on to
Mim, but this introduces about a 10s delay in mails sent from the
Internet to HECnet.