[HECnet] HECnet mail gateway...

Boyanich, Alastair Alastair.Boyanich at au.fujitsu.com
Mon Apr 10 01:04:05 PDT 2017

That is so damned cool!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Johnny Billquist
Sent: Friday, April 7, 2017 7:02 AM
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: [HECnet] HECnet mail gateway...

I've been busy (as usual) with writing stuff for RSX. And been a bit annoyed at not having a nice mail gateway between TCP/IP and DECnet. So I've written one for RSX, which is now live.

This is still very new and not so very tested code, so I really appreciate any error reports, feature requests, thought, or just stress tests... :-)

So, without making it any more complicated:

To send mail from anywhere on the Internet to a host on HECnet:

<node>::<user>@Mim.Update.UU.SE

To send mail from a node on HECnet to Internet:

MIM::<user>@<host>

Of course, as usual, PMR addressing works on the DECnet side. Also, this mail gateway can also deal with local mail on Mim, in case anyone wonders. And it does *not* relay mail on the Internet.

I've done a cut of BQTCP as well, with this mailer included. But I'm not officially making a release yet. That is what the next week or so of testing is leading me up to, though. :-)

And if people try to get this up and working let me know, as the documentation might still be a bit cryptic as well.

And in case anyone wonder - yes, it does use MX records on the TCP/IP side. Also, Mim is behind a firewall, so for most people, SMTP access directly to Mim does not work. However, Mim also have an MX record pointing to an intermediate machine which then relays the messages on to Mim, but this introduces about a 10s delay in mails sent from the Internet to HECnet.

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
Disclaimer

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may contain content that is subject to copyright and/or is commercial-in-confidence and is intended only for the use of the above named addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination, copying or use of the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please telephone Fujitsu Australia Limited on 02 9776 4555 or by reply e-mail to the sender and delete the document and all copies thereof.

Whereas Fujitsu Australia Limited would not knowingly transmit a virus within an email communication, it is the receiver’s responsibility to scan all communication and any files attached for computer viruses and other defects. Fujitsu Australia Limited does not accept liability for any loss or damage (whether direct, indirect, consequential or economic) however caused, and whether by negligence or otherwise, which may result directly or indirectly from this communication or any files attached.