[HECnet] Intro and New User Questions

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun Dec 17 12:23:47 PST 2017

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 12:13 PM, Mark J. Blair wrote:
> Hi there, everybody! I'm a vintage computer collector in southern California,
> USA, and I'm interested in joining HECnet. I thought I'd introduce myself and
> then ask some questions on the mailing list before I ask to join the network.
> [...]
> So now it's time for me to figure out how to join HECnet. I gather that my best
> options would be to either use the bridge program, or to set up my VAX-
> 11/785 emulation to bridge things somehow.
>
> If I use the bridge program running on a Linux box, can I configure it to only
> bridge traffic to/from the rest of HECnet? I don't want the traffic between my
> local DECnet nodes to leave the house. If the bridge program forwards all
> DECnet packets that it sees, then maybe I should learn how to set up my
> emulated VAX-11/785 as a router instead?

The router approach would seem to make most sense to me.  You could arrange
a point to point link with someone and use a simulated DMR/DMC for connectivity,
or you could dedicate a simulated DEUNA/DELUA without any separate bridge
involved on your end with UDP as the transport.  See HELP XU ATTACH.

- Mark