[HECnet] Public Services over DECnet

Supratim Sanyal supratim at riseup.net
Sat Dec 30 06:05:13 PST 2017

Hi Mark,

Your email strikes a chord; I was exactly in this position a couple of
years ago.

My experience with OpenVMS was mostly doing SYS$QIOs, ASTs and Event
Flags controlling factory shop-floor equipment with not much of DECnet
in the mid 90's; and I bailed to Unix/Linux/IP shortly before Robert
Palmer completed the demise of Digital Equipment Corporation.

I have been playing around (got blocked from HECnet twice for
inadvertently flooding the entire network with ethernet loopbacks while
experimenting) and wanted to share my experience so far.

_File Sharing_

Anonymous file sharing is achieved using the File Access Listener
service (FAL) that comes with DECnet implementations. Anonymity is
achieved by proxy - this basically means you configure DECnet  to map
anonymous users to a FAL user, and all files in this proxied FAL user's
directory are then available publicly. You can do a "DIR <NODENAME>::"
to almost any HECnet node and see the files their owners have made
publicly available.

Installing FAL server on OpenVMS is a no brainer; the DECnet
installation script will ask questions and set it up. Other operating
systems are tricky to various degrees, but by all means go for it, it is
exciting!

I have been experimenting on DECnet stacks on various operating systems,
and so far have got FAL to work accessing files from other nodes on HECnet:

OpenVMS VAX 7.3:

     DIR QCOCAL::
     DIR CLOUDY::
     DIR IMPVAX::

OpenVMS Alpha 8.3:

     DIR RAPTOR::

RSX-11M-PLUS / PDP-11/24

     DIR JUICHI::

Linux Ubuntu 14:

     DIR FEDACH::
     DIR FOMFOR::

DEC Ultrix:

     DIR OSTARA::

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 - _This actually returns the entire content of
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32, I do not know how to peg FAL server to a specific
directory on Windows NT_:

     DIR ENTEE4::

Microsoft Windows XP  - Again, this returns the entire content of
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32!

     DIR ENTEE4::

_Forum/BBS/Conference__
_
DEC NOTES was, as mostly the case, pioneering and years ahead - I could
get technical answers from across the world over the global EASYNET
before the internet became popular. However I think there needs to be
some NOTES servers somewhere on HECnet for the rest of us to launch
NOTES and chat. Maybe there is one, I do not know, Johnny may.

_MUDS etc_

The OpenVMS freeware archives contain a few networked games - they are
easy to install - I will gladly play with others as others will if you
put them up!

_Web Server_

Not really DECnet, but if you have DEC TCP/IP for OpenVMS installed,
both WASD and OSU HTTPD work fine. My examples -
http://sanyalnet-openvms-vax.freeddns.org:82/ is served by WASD for
OpenVMS/VAX 7.3 and http://sanyal.duckdns.org/ is served by OSU HTTPD on
OpenVMS/Alpha 8.3.

Have a glorious 2018 playing with DECnet,

Supratim