[HECnet] Public Services over DECnet

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Dec 30 10:30:59 PST 2017

> On Dec 30, 2017, at 10:09, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
> I've still never used Windows, and at this point I doubt I ever
> will.

Ok, now I'm really jealous. I've used Windows a lot more than I would have liked to! :)

> The only thing that I can say in direct response to
> your questions is this: Are you aware that the X window system can, or
> at least could, use DECnet as a transport?

I was unaware! Can that be done on plain old Phase IV? What sort of hardware and software do I need to engage in that wonderful silliness?

My current plan is to have all of my old DECnet-native gear speaking only DECnet Phase IV, with TCP/IP only set up on one simh-based VAX-11/785 emulation that I use as an always-on HECnet presence, a bridge between DECnet and my modern machines, and possibly a DECnet router (depending on how I end up connecting to HECnet).

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/