[HECnet] Public Services over DECnet

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 14:02:48 PST 2017

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Timothy Stark <fsword007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I was exposed to only local DECnet during college life (1984-1990) at
> Gallaudet University in DC area. I was CS student.  I had accessed to VAX,
> PDP-10 (TOPS-10), and Ultrix system which was connected to the Internet
> (SURAnet). VAX system was connected to BITNET with using JNet software.  I
> used DECnet to transfer my files between VAX, PDP-10 and Ultrix systems and
> logged into other systems via DECnet (set host command).
>
> I got JNet software with TCPNJE driver for my emulated VAX system.  I
> installed FunetNJE (available on ftp.funet.fi) on Linux system and was
> able send messages to my emulated VAX system or via.  I am still looking
> for JNet 1.x and 2.x for older VMS operating systems that I have. Also, I
> am still looking for JNet manuals as well.

Wow, I've been wondering whatever happened to JNet. Same with UREP (Unix
RSCS Emulation Program: basically, BITNET for Unix).

Some BITNET file servers have good resources for VM and VAX operating
> systems. There were RELAY servers as well.
>
> Yeah. There are still MUD sources (like TinyMUD and AberMUD) on the
> Internet for UNIX systems.
>
> There was MUD server on PSUVAX for a few months. That was so fun until
> system admin asked someone to shut down due to excessively resources. I
> tried to contact MUD developer to give me a copy but they said no.

Hmm. Do you know what timeframe that was in? psuvax1 was actually a Sun in
it's later life (a 4/280, I think?)....

At college, We used Kermit to access VAX, PDP-10 and Ultrix systems as
> terminal and file transfers (very slow!!). Network admin told me that and
> use TCP/IP software instead. TCP/IP is much more effective than Kermit.
>
> I graduated from Gallaudet University before TCP/IP became standard
> (replaces old Kermit, etc.) for system-wide use after sys admin retired.
>
> Yeah. I saw that declining of BITnet in 1990s in favors of the Internet as
> standard communication.  I never use THEnet because it was not available at
> my college campus.  Today I recently discovered HECnet and am planning to
> join HECnet with my emulated VAX system.  I am considering about Hobbyist
> version of BITnet some day with JNet and FunetNJE software. I had seen some
> people used Hercules 390 to run VM/ESA or z/VM to can communicate with
> that. VM/370 (released to public) does not support that yet.

I can't say I'm sad to see RSCS networks die, but there's definitely some
nostalgia factor to seeing people use BITNET again.

        - Dan C.