[HECnet] DECmate II and OS/278...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 7 03:01:54 PDT 2017

Hi.

On 2017-07-07 11:18, Tim Sneddon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just become the proud owner of a DECmate II (in original
> packaging no less :-).  I had hoped to do something fun with it, but
> unfortunately at the moment is is loaded with WPS.  So, I was hoping to
> load OS/278 onto it.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything that I can
> use to write the floppy images to.
>
> So, after Googling around I came across something called a KryoFlux:
>
>      https://www.kryoflux.com/?page=home
>
> They don't specifically say that the support RX50, but I did find a
> couple posts on their forum suggesting that maybe it could be done.
>
> Before I go off and buy one of these (and a 5.25 floppy drive, although
> not from them...) I was wondering if anyone out there had used this
> before?  Maybe a different solution?
>
> Alternatively, if there is someone out there who could help copy the
> OS/278 binary and source images to RX50, I would be really appreciative.
>   I'm more than happy to pay my way and provide the disks.
>
> Anyway, thanks in advance.
>
> Regards, Tim.

I didn't know the Kryoflux could write disks. I always assumed it only
read them.
Anyway, I have an RX50 on PONDUS::, but I have not used it in a couple
of years...
But it would also require that you have full disk images, and not
individual files, or some special format thing.
Also, be aware that other types of disks might, or might not, work that
well in RX50... The RX50 is a bit "special".

And no, my stash of RX50 floppies is close to empty, so I can't help
with that part.