[HECnet] Alphaserver 800 5/500 CPU Module B-cache error

Michael Holmes mholmes10 at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 1 21:11:20 PDT 2017

Before I go looking on Ebay, I thought I'd ask here first.

My Alphaserver 800 5/500 wasn't responding when I came back from a business trip.
And when I rebooted it, I heard the 1-2-4 beep codes and no screen.

Found out it means "Backup cache error. Replace the CPU daughter board"

And I found out in the manual that "The system can be operated with the B-cache disabled until a replacement CPU daughter board is available."   After re-seating the CPU board and the memory it still got the error beeps and changed the J1 jumper and it booted up fine.

Does anyone know the impact of running with the B-cache disabled?
The text in the system manual said the jumper setting "Allows the system to run despite bad B-cache until a replacement CPU board is available."   How long can the system be run in this mode?

just curious so I know how much time I have to watch for a reasonable price 5/500 CPU module to show up on ebay (since there aren't many VAX/Alpha geeks in DC on craigslist).

Thanks in advance

Mike