[HECnet] My RSTS/E system...

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Aug 12 12:28:34 PDT 2018

> On Aug 12, 2018, at 9:12 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> Hi.

> By exploring adjacent nodes and known circuits, you'd get a more complete picture, as it will also show you connections which are not the lowest cost paths.
>
> However, as I said, it will only give a partial picture anyway. I also found out the other day that it don't seem like RSTS/E implements it either, or maybe it depends on version and maybe it's optional.

DECnet/E definitely implements NICE, has from the beginning (i.e., from when DECnet/E 2.0 which is the Phase III release was first shipped).

However, it need not be enabled as a known object.  And if enabled, it may or may not accept connections without access control variables (PPN/password).  If not, you'll get a reject indicating either no such object or bad access control.  However, if the connection is accepted you should find a full implementation.

Of course mapping information exists only in routers; if the node you're talking to is an endnode it will only tell you who the adjacent designated router is (or the adjacent nodes, on point to point circuits).

	paul