[HECnet] My RSTS/E system...

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 05:46:39 PDT 2018

> On Aug 13, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Johnny Eriksson <bygg at cafax.se> wrote:
>
> Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>> Object 23 is the predecessor of CTERM. I'm not entirely sure of the name
>> of that protocol.
>
> From some code:
>
>        [ASCIZ  |NRT|]          ;23 NRT program
>
> Supported by tops10 and 20.  If you need to do testing you can use
> my machines, athena (20) and topsy (10).

23 is the OS-specific remote terminal protocol set.  It's actually a single object type with multiple protocols underneath, depending on which OS is used.  For example, the RSX flavor looks like an RPC exporting the terminal QIOs; the RSTS one looks vaguely like telnet in line and character mode; and the TOPS flavor is character mode.  The choice is made at connection time, according to the OS ID sent by the responder.  RSTS supports the full set, provided you installed the "unsupported" client.  (The "supported" client only speaks the RSTS flavor.)

	paul