[HECnet] Uptime

Johnny Eriksson bygg at cafax.se
Thu Feb 8 08:55:04 PST 2018

One of my nodes fell off Hecnet (actually a while ago).

I finally got around to reboot it in order to get it back.

The problem?  Too much uptime.

  Monitor Atle - DEC-10 at work
  System uptime 10483:52:41
  Current date/time Thursday 8-Feb-2018 8:00:14

Thats what you get for running stable hardware.  On the other hand,
this is/was a known problem:

  MCO: 12935          Name: WXD               Date: 22-May-86:14:12:35

  [Symptom]
  DECnet stops working correctly.  The -10 sees all the nodes
  on the ethernet, but isn't seen by any of the nodes.

  [Diagnosis]
  The -10 has stopped sending ethernet hello messages.  This
  is caused by the -10 getting an overflow when calculating the DECnet
  time (milliseconds of uptime), which is then used to determine when
  to send the next message.  The algorithm is:
	  MOVE    T1,SYSUPT
	  IMULI   T1,1000.
	  IDIVI   T1,JIFSEC
  This overflows at 159 hours, 4 minutes, 22 seconds, and 19. ticks (60hz).

  [Cure]
  Change IMULI -> MULI, and IDIVI -> DIVI

  This algorithm won't overflow until 9544 hours of uptime (395+ days).

--Johnny (the other one)

  /\_/\
 ( *.* )