[HECnet] pdp-11/VAX racks and chassis free to good home

Boyanich, Alastair Alastair.Boyanich at au.fujitsu.com
Tue Jan 2 18:29:53 PST 2018

I wish you could. ☺ Hand luggage!

Amusingly, this would’ve been around 2001 and I was in W.A which had a lot of mining and exploration around then and hardware dumped on the local Ross’s Auctions in Maylands. Myself and some old Uni buddies bought a 1.5m high plastic wrapped pallet of SGI Octanes (mostly 1.3 and a few 1.2 xbow’s) and we stripped them all, divvied up the parts and made a couple of extremely good machines each and traded parts on the uni notice boards with some other enthusiasts. All of this for a few hundred dollars – bargain. Another mate from that group was living in Melbourne and came to visit. He saw the three Octanes I had and and desperately wanted an octane. I’ll not so anonymously call this mate “Mick”. So I offered him one if he could organise his own shipping, to which he very readily agreed given he was a passionate Indy user.

Crazy enthusiastic and he had no time left to organise it properly and flew Qantas back to Melbourne (4.5-5hr flight) with the thing on his lap with a pillow underneath. He was definitely keen as all get-out. Lucky no DVT or something.

I often think of Mick and his Octane as being the most serious hand-luggage I’ve ever seen. Sadly he’s not into SGI Mips gear any longer.

Al.