[HECnet] DECnet for Linux

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 3 07:44:54 PST 2018

On 2018-01-03 16:02, Erik Olofsen wrote:
> On a virtual machine with lubuntu 12.04, kernel 3.2.0, I have
> DECnet for Linux V.2.5.68s working, with dnprogs version 2.65.
> It is node RULLFL.
>
> The daemons and utilities use decnet.conf with node information,
> so something useful would be to create it from mim::nodenames.dat.
>
> On a VAX, TYPEing it works well, but on the Linux machine, dntype
> hangs after giving parts of the file; dndir mim:: works well.
>
> Does anyone have dntype mim::nodenames.dat working properly (with
> perhaps different versions of the above)?

I can't help, but I can report that trying to read a file from a Linux
machine on MIM also hangs after a while.
A big problem with the DECnet/Linux implementation is that the
developers only ever tested against VMS, and nothing else.

I've known for ages that it does not play well with RSX. But I do not
want to dig into the Linux implementation.

(The Linux DAP claims to be a VMS system, by the way, which is probably
also not a good idea. Better if it had claimed to be some Unix derivative.)