[HECnet] DECnet Phase IV through Linux GRE Tunnel?

Supratim Sanyal supratim at riseup.net
Sat Jan 6 16:17:42 PST 2018

Hi Mark,

 > Since I want to keep my local DECnet traffic local, my current goal
is to set up a VAX/OpenVMS simulation under SIMH to act as a DECnet area
router (and provide other services to my real VAXen, too).

My approach was to compile SIMH with VDE support, and then use VDE as
the primary DECnet-only switch connecting nine DECnet nodes in my
basement in Washington, DC to a 10th node (CLOUDY) on a VPS in
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. It works great, VDE basically provides
ethernet ports on the same switch no matter where the ports
geographically are; the virtual ethernet switch extends over SSL, hence
it is pretty secure too.

If the host machine of MIM had VDE installed and shared the public key
with us, we could, in theory, connect all our simulated DECnet nodes to
MIM:: without using Multinet or Johnny's bridge etc.

I am sure you are aware of VDE, but still, here is the link:
http://vde.sourceforge.net/

Best,

Supratim