[HECnet] DECnet for Linux

Erik Olofsen e.olofsen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 24 13:06:36 PST 2018

Hi Johnny,

You're right, and I will also get tired of it...!

However, being in the current routine of trying various kernels,
I've now arrived at the latest one 4.14.15, something I never
expected to be possible.

Different things go wrong with different kernels. With the latest
one, I get a lot of kernel messages about things the decnet module
is doing wrong, rather than mysterious failures, so there lies
some hope. Note: I get these messages while DECnet is working!

So I will continue just a little bit, and I'll be testing this latest
kernel. I hope you won't be getting too many strange packets from RULLFL.
Can I ask you after some days/weeks if you did?

With the changes in the Linux API, the decnet code has been updated,
even while it was orphaned, so that it compiles; but it hasn't been
tested (of course). I read somewhere that they're going to omit the
decnet source from the tree.

When I get tired of it, I'll document a bit how to get things working.

Erik