[HECnet] DECnet for Linux

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 25 15:08:12 PST 2018

On 01/25/2018 05:50 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>    I keep an Ubuntu 12.10 VM running at the museum to use as a hop-off
>> point and file transfer system.  It sure would be nice to not have to do
>> that. :)
>
> Easy. Set up an RSX system instead. Then you can transport files between
> DECnet and TCP/IP easily, as well as send/receive mail, and run
> interactive terminal sessions, and more... :-)

  There are many RSX systems here.  I think we're over a dozen now,
between the museum and the systems in my home/work building around the
corner.  But we usually don't leave PDP-11s up and running all the time.

  I am (slowly) moving toward getting your IP stack installed on a few
of the -PLUS systems, but there have been other priorities of late, like
keeping the power bills paid.

  My "bridge between IP and DECnet" system had been a DS10L running VMS,
but it was a bit too modern for its own good, so its CPU fan seized up a
few weeks ago.  I'm hoping to solve that problem soon, but with so many
other Linux systems here I'd prefer just to have direct
interoperability, as opposed to indirect.