[HECnet] Thrashing about...

Lee Gleason lee.gleason at comcast.net
Sun Jul 15 09:02:36 PDT 2018

From: Keith Halewood
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2018 10:02 AM
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: [HECnet] Thrashing about...

>When (in university days) you share a vaxcluster with at least 40 concurrents students EDTing then ALGOL68ing their programming assignments, it was fun to write a kind of ‘TELL <userid> message’ which mailbox’d >a >message to a central server which worked out if they were on the local node or somewhere else in the cluster, passed the message along and then broadcast it to the target user’s logged in terminal.

  This reminds me of a time in the 80s, when a string overflow bug in the PHONE utility allowed users to broadcast arbitrary strings to other people’s  terminal sessions, addressing them by username.

  It became quite popular at MegaBig engineering company where I was working at the time, for sending one line messages. Unfortunately, the broadcast was anonymous, and so pranksters started using it to insult people, and broadcast insulting messages to the managers and executives.

  It only took a little while to find the string overflow and patch it. However, it had become so popular by then for short messages, that I had to write a replacement utility that didn’t have the mischief potential that the original did. I had reported it to DEC but didn’t get much of a response. I dunno when they finally fixed it – it was present at least from VMS 5.4 through 6.1.

--

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR

Control-G Consultants

lee.gleason at comcast.net