[HECnet] Thrashing about...

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Jul 15 13:54:14 PDT 2018

> On Jul 15, 2018, at 1:12 PM, Hans Vlems <hvlems at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>
> Does ALGOL68 support call-by-name, like ALGOL60?

Not directly.  But you can pass procedures as arguments (ALGOL 60 allows that, too), which lets you achieve the effect of call by name.

Algol68-RS?  That's not familiar.  I don't remember Algol 68 from DEC.  Could it have been done by some university?  "RS" doesn't suggest anything in particular.

I know that CMU did an Algol 68 implementation, but that was for the PDP11.  I once had DECtapes with the run time library sources on it, but those have been lost.  There was a research group in the UK that was known for its Algol 68 work -- Royal Radar Establishment, perhaps?  And implementations were done for various machines in a number of places, mostly in Europe.  At least one (for the CDC 6000 series) was turned into a company product.

	paul