[HECnet] Thrashing about...

Keith Halewood Keith.Halewood at pitbulluk.org
Mon Jul 16 13:49:30 PDT 2018

Algol68 was Betamax to Pascal and Ada’s VHS. The former was technically superior and the other two just easier to deal with…. That’s how I feel anyway.

Algol68 had ‘Mode’ as a generalisation of type, encompassing value, reference (variables), the triple reference. A truly liberal approach to ‘pointers’ able to point to locations on the stack or on the heap with only the most natural restriction and garbage collection. I really enjoyed the ability in Algol68 to slice and trim multi-dimensional arrays any way I wanted… and the VAX/VMS compiler doing a pretty good job of handling the details in its generated code. Who needed call by name when you could pass routine texts (procedure/function bodies) as parameters to procedures and functions. No restrictions on ‘function’ results either. The RSRE compiler interfaced to VMS quite naturally – the CALLS/CALLG convention happened automatically and there were modifiers for call by immediate value, STRUCTnCHAR modes for less liberal string handling possible in runtime libraries. I/O (transput) formats were fun but there was no parallel processing – I didn’t really miss that anyway. The use of triple REFs….. joyous.

And yes, Algol68 RS was the result of work at RSRE in Malvern. The compiler exists in one form as a part of Ella and generates C source code. It’s not nice.
I have contacted Altran who apparently adopted the software output from RSRE. Attempts to contact them have resulted in silence.

I’ll continue to try from time to time.

Keith