[HECnet] Hoping to join HECnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Jun 23 13:01:46 PDT 2018

On 2018-06-23 19:56, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On 06/23/2018 01:32 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> But yes, there is no point in simulating a star coupler, since it's just
>> a passive device anyhow. And HSC emulation only needs to talk the CI
>> protocol and act as (T)MSCP server side. No point, or need, to emulate
>> an actual HSC and run CRONIC on it.
>
>    About as much point as running VMS under emulation.  I have real HSCs
> here connecting real hardware, but I'd surely run an emulated HSC
> connecting emulated hardware if it were available.  I'd even be quite
> excited about it.

I don't think you emulate signals on cables, nor the CPUs on the
controllers, which are running the microcode that implements MSCP on the
UDA50. So it certainly makes some sense to emulate the whole HSC as just
an endpoint for a protocol instead of running a PDP-11 plus the
interfaces and buses that actually make up an HSC.

But it all depends on what you want to do, of course. Me personally, I
like running real hardware as well. :-)