[HECnet] KLH10 not idling host CPU

Mark Pizzolato Mark at infocomm.com
Sun Mar 4 16:57:30 PST 2018

Hi Alastair,

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 3:24 PM, Alastair Boyanich wrote:
> I can only speak for the VAX side of things, but ymmv and possibly similar?
>
> I’ve seen this with VMS on the VAX simulator. I think the idle loop detection
> changed a while back (perhaps on KLH10 also?) so it wasn’t detecting the
> vms idle loop correctly and thus emulating every cycle, driving the cpu to
> 100%.
>
> There was an option I used to feed it in the .ini which was:
>
> SET CPU IDLE=VMS
>
> But this has not made much of a difference for a long while. On-topic,
> SET CPU IDLE=NETBSD has worked for me. I am unsure of the reasoning.

Simh Idling for VMS running in simulators has worked for all versions of VMS
pretty much from the beginning of any idle features.  If you're seeing less than
ideal behavior, please try the latest code from https://github.com/simh/simh/archive/master.zip
If you still don't get good results, please send the output produced by:

      sim> SHOW VERSION

in your simulator and identify what host OS you’re running on.

Thanks.

- Mark