[HECnet] Connections?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed May 2 14:58:47 PDT 2018

On 2018-05-02 23:13, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> But I'm almost a bit surprised that noone have really stepped up with
>> multinet links in the US. Is there really noone with the resources and
>> ability to connect potential new people?
>
>    I've been connecting people via Multinet on LEGATO for some time now, and I don't see any problem with continuing to do that.  I think there are about half a dozen active connections on LEGATO now.  I really prefer that people have static IPs, because updating dynamic IPs with Multinet is a royal pain, however there are a few dynamic ones in there.  My IP is always available at decnet.jfcl.com.

Just realized I should maybe make another comment here.
I don't fully know how Multinet under VMS is managed, or what
limitations there might be.
My Multinet compatible implementation under RSX might have some issues
communicating with VMS nodes, but in general it seems to be working just
fine.
The setup under RSX do not really have any problems with dynamic IP
addresses. But it does introduce a bit of exposure, since when the other
end has a dynamic address, Multinet will have to be able to accept
connections from anywhere. I have been pondering whether to enable
passwords on those links. But until now, it's not been a real problem,
since people scanning and probing ports have no clue about DECnet over
IP to start with.