[HECnet] Connections?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu May 3 16:20:35 PDT 2018

On 2018-05-04 00:00, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> In RSX, you can have any number of
>> listeners on one specific port,
>
>    The Multinet tunnel software emulates a point to point circuit, like a DDCMP synchronous link only with TCP/IP.  In theory the only traffic that goes down that link should be messages addressed to the node on the other end (or any node that it's the next hop for).
>
>    If you accept multiple connections on the same port, how do you know who is on the other end?  I don't remember anything in the Multinet protocol to identify the nodes.  If you don't know who is on the other end, how do you know what traffic to send him??

It's TCP. It's always point to point. There are no broadcast ability in
TCP. However, there is nothing preventing you to have multiple TCP
connections with the same local port. It's still separate connections.

Maybe we're talking past each other here?

It is very common that you have a service that listens to a port, and
which accepts multiple connections. Think http for example. Multinet is
no different.