[HECnet] Connections?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu May 3 23:46:47 PDT 2018

On 2018-05-04 05:55, Robert Armstrong wrote:

>    I guess a more direct question for the DECnet experts out there would be, "can any DECnet circuit cope with multiple adjacent nodes on the same circuit?"  I always thought Ethernet circuits were special in that regard, but maybe not.  If any single circuit can have multiple adjacencies, then you could make a Multinet driver that accepted multiple connections.

There are a little bit more to it, but first of all, ethernet is
special. The protocol DECnet uses over ethernet is a bit different than
the protocol used over point-to-point links.

But in addition, you also have multipoint circuits, which is a variant
of point-to-point circuits, but which have several endpoints/adjacent
nodes. So ethernet is not the only one able to do that.

But, all that said, Multinet, both under VMS, and in my implementation,
don't do anything like this. It's just plain simple point-to-point links.