[HECnet] DECnet for DOS / Rainbow documentation?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 10:45:24 PST 2018

> On Nov 6, 2018, at 12:02 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave McGuire wrote:
>> it may have required a 3Com card.  That's what I was replying to.
>
>  Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure DECnet/DOS worked with a 3C501 as well.
>
> Bob

I'm afraid you're right, at least in some versions.  Not very well, because that interface is single buffered.  So if two packets arrive close together, one is dropped.  Since no sane person would design an interface like that, we (DECnet architecture group) adamantly refused to mess with the DECnet architecture to handle such interfaces.

	paul