[HECnet] Visit to the Living Computers Museum

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Sat Sep 1 11:36:12 PDT 2018

> On Sep 1, 2018, at 11:13 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
>  Everything I do in my life generates heat, which I have to pay to have
> removed.  Moving to a cooler climate was the smartest thing I've ever done.

One of the smart things I did was move my “datacenter” out to the Garage.  The downside is, if it gets too hot, the VMS HW gets powered down, but with virtualizing most of that, the only thing I had to power off was my XP1000 and PDXVAX.  By next summer, I hope to have found time to virtualize my area router.

Actually you’ve given me an idea, I’m working to design a Darkroom, which I plan to wall in out there.  I should be able to utilize the heat from the “datacenter” in the winter to help keep it warm.  Then I just have to deal with cooling it in the warmer months.  Anyone ever experiment with creating a rack that acts as a heat source?

Zane